Experienced writer, editor, book doctor, and publicist
With over 20 years as a professional writer, editor, and book doctor, J.H. knows what it takes to make your project shine. Here are some of the ways she can help:
- Editing: You’ve worked so hard on your novel, query letter, article or report–don’t turn it in cluttered with errors. J.H. offers both copy-editing and developmental editing services. Want to know why your protagonist doesn’t resonate with readers? She will tell you.
- Writing: In need of a travel blogger, investigative journalist, or someone who can put together a kick-ass brochure or write the content for your website? Look no further. J.H. has written over a thousand articles for national and international magazines and newspapers, managed the content for several websites, and created many kinds of documents, from annual reports to brochures and newsletters. If it involves the written word, she’s done it. She’s also a professional ghostwriter with Gotham Ghostwriters in New York.
- Publicity: Planning an event or launching a new product and need a secret weapon? No problem. J.H. has handled publicity for dozens of clients, from large corporations to small non-profit societies. Whether you’re just looking for a press release or are hoping for an entire campaign, she can help.
- Social Media: If you can’t tell a tweet from a tumblr, or are social-media savvy but suspect you could be doing something better, J.H. will take you to the next level. She’s created and managed social media accounts for companies who didn’t have the time or know-how to go it alone, and she will give you the knowledge you need to create more buzz online. Find out how she doubled her number of Twitter followers in two days!
- Query Letters: J.H. has done her time in the query-letter trenches. You don’t need an insanely expensive course to craft an amazing query letter–you just need someone who isn’t as close to your novel and who can see its selling points objectively. While she prefers to edit previously written drafts, she can also read your novel and create a letter from scratch for an additional fee.
“On very short notice, J.H. was able to step in to edit and proof a custom publication corporate history book for one of our clients. Unfazed by the quick turnaround time, she was able to complete the work as promised. Her sharp eye for detail and grounded knowledge of spelling, grammar and punctuation was a welcome and valued contribution to ensuring a quality book – and a grateful client.”
– Charity Webster, Production Manager at Relish New Brand Experience Inc.
“I’ve had the distinct pleasure of working with J.H. on several different projects now and she never fails to impress. The first project she edited for me was a series of novella pitches I prepared for a small press that I’d been wanting to work with for some time. Her strength and experience as an editor, along with her careful eye, helped me pique the interest of the press and I’m now working with them on an outline. J.H.’s work is professional, bold, and punctual. Her recommendations helped clarify the voice of my work and pushed it towards a literary potential it might otherwise never have approached. Having J.H. in my corner has been an asset and a joy. I trust my work in J.H.’s hands more than any editor I’ve worked with to date and I look forward to working with her on many projects to come.”
– Brendan Van Valkenburgh, author
“The East European Genealogical Society recently held a one day Seminar and J.H. was contracted for the publicity. What an exceptional promotion! One of our members was interviewed on CTV and the Seminar was mentioned several times in the Winnipeg Free Press, as well as J.H. arranged for a full page article on June 4th. She also set up a Twitter account for the Society that helped publicize our Seminar, as well as future events. Her promotion of the Seminar increased our attendance! J.H. went the extra mile for the EEGS. This is the second time the Society has used her expertise and we will certainly use her promotional services again.”
– Mavis Menzies, EEGS past president
“While J.H. is a prolific writer, she is also skilled at getting ‘the story behind the story,’ peeling away the various layers of the onion. She can create immediate connection with the people she interviews.”
– Gilles Marchildon, Directeur général/Executive Director at Reflet Salvéo (French health services planning agency)
“J.H. is a talented communications and marketing professional with great creativity and impeccable writing skills. Her press releases for the Museum were second to none; generating a significant amount of earned media locally, nationally and internationally. Her creativity and positive attitude helped develop many innovative programs at the Museum.”
– Javier Schwersensky, Deputy Executive Director at The Manitoba Museum
“I worked with J.H. on multiple occasions this past year (2012) including the Annual Walk for Life event, which included promoting the event through the CTV Morning News and articles in the local newspaper. I was also one of the people featured in CancerCare’s 1st Annual Report that was published in the Winnipeg Free Press. I have worked in the sales & marketing industry for many years and thought J.H. did a fantastic job in every aspect. J.H. is perfect for this job, as she one of the most caring, thoughtful and genuine people I have met. You are in good hands if you have the pleasure of working with her.”
– Matthew Bear, Financial Advisor at Scotiabank
“I had the pleasure of having J.H. work with me at a former employer. Her excellent writing and communication skills were a key reason for hiring her, and she did not disappoint. She brought a fresh perspective and was not afraid to seek out information. It was a pleasure to work with her.”
– Peggy Yuill, Manager, Marketing Planning at Investors Group Financial
Ready to get started?
Email J.H. at jh (at) jhmoncrieff (dot) com.