Happy Monday, Dear Readers! This past weekend was not a happy one for me, unfortunately. I spent a lot of it being an insecure mess, as writers are wont to do (and as you’ll see in my Insecure Writer’s Support Group post this Wednesday).
That said, there were still plenty of additions to the happy list. Please share your thoughts and let me know what’s making you happy these days.
1) Unlikely friendships. Have you heard the one about the soldier who rescued a baby squirrel and now has a friend for life? No? Well then you just have to read this: http://themetapicture.com/a-soldier-and-his-best-friend/. This one is good, too: http://www.owenandmzee.com/omweb/
2) The Oatmeal. If you haven’t discovered this site yet, prepare to laugh. Matthew Inman is responsible for some of the weirdest, smartest, funniest stuff on the web. And this particular drawing of his convinced me, more than ever, that we were separated at birth.
3) Caucasian Ovcharkas: Want a dog you can ride? Okay, how about one that will tear the face off anyone who tries to harm you? Caucasian Ovcharkas were bred as Russian bear-hunting dogs. That should tell you pretty much all you need to know. If well socialized, they make wonderful, cuddly pets that can end up weighing close to 160 pounds. Has anyone ever met or owned one of these dogs?
4) Botanical Paperworks: This local company makes some of the coolest gifts on the planet. Imagine giving Christmas cards that can be planted in the garden. Or seed bombs that can be thrown into vacant lots, turning eyesores into a wildflower paradise. One of their neatest items is a calendar–every single page features month-appropriate seeds and can be planted. Even if you don’t live in Winnipeg, you can order from their online store.
5) Query Shark: If you’re an unpublished writer hoping to attract the attention of an agent or publisher, it should come as no surprise that you need a kick-ass query letter. But these letters are surprisingly difficult to pull off. Query Shark is one agent’s attempt to help us write the perfect query–by showing us how much we suck at it. This site has so much useful information for writers it’s insane. I highly recommend it.
That’s my list for the week! Please tell me what’s making you happy these days. I have a crazy month ahead and need all the help I can get.
Thanks for reading!