One thing I’ve realized about myself is that whenever I get into a dark place, it doesn’t take much to snap me out of it. I can have a complete meltdown where I’m convinced absolutely everything is WRONG WRONG WRONG, and then the next day I’ll go for a walk, the sun will be shining, a few little things will go right, and I’ll notice I’m elated and loving life again.
Most of the time it doesn’t take a lot to make me happy. There’s a trend going around the blog-o-sphere that has people writing posts entitled “Dear Teen Me” to give their younger selves the benefit of their experience. Well, that’s what I would say to my teenage self. “You’ll be happy again. Maybe not tomorrow, or even the day after that, but someday soon. And eventually, you’ll be happy way more often than you’re sad. And this horrible, crippling self-hatred will go away.”
I probably wouldn’t believe me. After all, we’re talking about a teenager here, and teenagers usually already know everything. But it would be worth a try.
C’mon people, lets get happy! Without further ado, this week’s Happy List.
1) This video. Sometimes happiness is complicated, and other times it’s a simple matter of giving a red panda a pumpkin. I defy you to watch this and not crack a smile.
2) David’s Tea. Once again I’m trying to wean myself off the crack Diet Pepsi. But woman (at least this woman) cannot live on water alone. I can warm up to the idea of drinking more tea, and once I discovered David’s Tea had an online store that delivered to your door, I was sold. Most of my favorites are seasonal, but I highly recommend The Earl’s Garden if you like Earl Grey tea that smells like heaven.
3) Autumn. I’m a summer girl–heck, I’m in the process of moving to a completely new world where it will be summer all the time, but in truth, my favorite season is fall. Nothing compares to that crispness in the air, the feel of the still-warm sun on your face, the crackle of leaves under your feet, and the smell of bonfires. I don’t think there’s a better smell in the world. And I’m not ashamed to dive into a big pile of leaves, just like this husky. My one complaint with autumn? It’s too short. I am not a fan of winter.
4) Best way to die. Ever. I’ve long joked (to people who know me well enough not to completely question my mental stability) that when I go, I want to go by hippo. I want to die by trampling hippo, so the last thing I will ever say is, “OOOOh, look at the HEEPO! It’s so cuttteee…” But enough people have argued that this will actually be a most unpleasant, lingering, painful death, so I’ve changed my mind. This is the animal I would like to maul me. (Please ignore the annoying anchorman…wait for the clip.)
5) And this. I’m blessed to be surrounded by awesome people. And I never (well, almost never) take that for granted, because I worked very hard to get to this point. When you surround yourself with good people, every now and then one of them will do or say something that completely makes your day. Yesterday I had a good friend say that she “missed me like whoa”. I hope she won’t mind my sharing, but that is one of the cutest things anyone has ever said to me. With friends like that, how can I not be happy?
So hopefully that’s enough cheer to get you through this week’s case of the Mondays. What’s making you happy right now? Please join the conversation–I always love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for reading!