|This pic is from my own garden,
courtesy of Chris Brogden
Okay, so it’s two days late, but better late than never, right? There may be a bigger message here, namely that this hasn’t been a particularly happy week for me. For some reason, after writing over 2,000 words everyday, I stopped. I haven’t worked on my book for a week. I’ve been shoddy with the marketing and exercising too. I’m not sure why I continue to crash and burn, but this seems to be a cycle with me–times of high productivity followed by times of sloth.
But, even in the dark times, there are things that make us smile. So without further ado, here is my happy list for this week!
1) Cats & Kittens: This morning I was woken up by a kitten who sat on my head and leaned over to lick my face. Last week, one of my cats ran by wearing my underwear–don’t ask me how. Every single day, my cats make me smile. They are great companions. And I’m sure if you have pets you feel the same way, no matter what species they may be.
2) Garden Centres: I can never withstand a bad mood in a garden centre. I don’t think you have to be a gardener to reap the benefits. Something about being surrounded by plants and flowers, with the wonderful fresh smells of soil and greenery, cheers the soul. I always spend too much in these places, but I never regret buying plants. It’s the adult version of playing in the dirt, and as a girl who used to make mud pies, I heartily approve.
3) Tapas: In this country, the word “tapas” seems to mean “serve half as much and charge twice as much”. I have a feeling it’s not the same in Spain. But even so, eating tapas-style is an excuse to have a meal of appetizers! You get to share with friends, try a whole bunch of new dishes, and if the restaurant is good, swoon with happiness. Two of my local favorites are Segovia and Deseo. Try them at least once and see what you think!
4) Those Guys: When I was still working at CancerCare, I had to make a video during one of the big events. The event, a 20 kilometre fitness walk, had live bands at each check stop. The first check stop we arrived at had eight guys standing around in T-shirts and jeans–no musicians, no instruments, no band. I had no idea what to expect, and then suddenly they broke into the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard. Later I went to their concert and I’ve been a huge fan of this local acapella group ever since. Discover them now, because I guarantee that someday soon we’ll be saying we knew them when. You cannot see a Those Guys show and avoid being in a good mood–that I promise you. Wait until you see them “move like Jagger”.
5) Hello Kitty Vans: I don’t think I have to say too much about this one. I haven’t purchased any yet, because I definitely have more than enough shoes, but this pairing is simply awesome. I’m not sure about the high-tops with the gigantic stuffed kitty head, though.
How about you, Dear Readers? What is making you happy this week? How do you get through a slump? And if you get something out of my lists or discover something you weren’t aware of before, please let me know in a comment.
Have a great week!