Hello again, dear readers.
Way back at the letter F, I told you about the Female Nomad, my personal ambassador for living a life less ordinary.
Rita was kind enough to share twenty-six tips with us. Follow her suggestions, and you can have many adventures without leaving home. She says your comfort level with these exercises is also a good guide to see if you are ready for the type of experiential traveling she loves.
Do any of these tips sound appealing to you? Have you done anything like this before?
Rita’s Travel Tips:
Smile a lot. Talk to strangers. Say yes to all invitations. Eat whatever you’re offered.
BRING JOY INTO YOUR LIFE BY STEPPING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX
Some fun things to try that will help you break down your inhibitions and rewire your life.
1. Start the day by brushing your teeth with the other hand.
2. Eat dinner food for breakfast
3. Take a different route to work or to the supermarket, down streets you’ve never been on.
4. Buy a vegetable or fruit that you’ve never tried and figure out what to do with it.
5. Sit at a different place at the dinner table.
6. Serve dessert first; if there are kids, don’t let them eat the meal until they finish dessert.
7. Talk to a stranger in line with you at a supermarket or bank.
8. Have dinner alone in a nice restaurant.
9. Spend a day without a bra and underpants.
10. Wear sneakers or slippers or go barefoot when it is totally inappropriate.
11. If you never wear tank tops, buy and wear one.
12. Go to an event without make-up; or if you never wear make-up, put it on for a day, a lot.
13. Buy a CD of songs from your teen years and sing along at the top of your voice…in the car or at home alone. Especially if you think you can’t carry a tune.
14. Dance when you’re home alone.
15. Walk around with a sketch book, sketching, if you think you can’t draw.
16. Invite a foreign family for dinner. Ask them to teach you a song in their language…or a dance…or how to cook an ethnic food. How about the owners of your favorite Thai restaurant?
(And when the dinner invitation is reciprocated, accept.)
17. If you are in a university town, invite a couple of foreign students over for Thanksgiving.
18. Go away for a weekend alone.
19. Go for a motorcycle ride.
20. Try parasailing.
21. Buy a hula hoop and practice until you can do it.
22. Blow bubbles in a park somewhere.
23. If you are a non-stop doer, spend a weekend doing nothing. (Just what is nothing?)
24. Eat a quart of ice cream instead of dinner.
25. Take a walk in the pouring rain.
26. Go to Clown Camp. (Google: Mooseburger Clown Camp)
Come up with a list of things that are outside your personal comfort zone, things that make you feel foolish or silly.
Then do them! And have fun.
Thanks for reading!