Last month, two amazing women nominated me for two different blogging awards. I’m sorry to say I’m just getting around to my part of the deal now.
Kellie from Princess & The Yard Ape kindly chose me for the Liebster Award, which celebrates blogs that deserve a larger audience. Kellie blogs about wine (she’s a Sommelier), gardening, and thrifting.
Chrys Fey from Write with Fey gave me the Creative Blogger Award, which speaks for itself. Chrys blogs about writing, sharing a ton of information for authors of all genres.
Both of these awards require me to answer some interesting questions and introduce you to more awesome bloggers.
First, Kellie asked:
1. If you could snap your fingers, and without risk of failure do anything in the world what would it be?
I would drive again. I miss it. I haven’t driven in years.
2. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
3. The thing about blogging that turns you on/ makes you happy?
Meeting new people and seeing the posts I write inspire spirited conversations or debates. I want my blog to be a community in the true sense of the word.
4. Blogger who’s influenced you the most?
Many bloggers have inspired me, but I had to forge my own path. That said, I love Molly Wizenberg’s blog Orangette. Molly has such a lovely way of describing things. I’ve been reading her blog for years.
5. If you could share a glass of wine with anyone whom would it be?
My boyfriend Chris. He likes wine a lot better than I do. Unless the wine in question is Moscato–then he’d better get out of my way.
6. Best meal you’ve ever eaten?
I’ve had so many great meals, especially during the month I spent in China. It’s hard to beat jianbing, a traditional Chinese street food that is basically the most delicious omelet wrapped in a crepe with sauce and crunchy bits on top. It’s made while you wait, and it’s insanely delicious.
7. Are you a morning person?
Hells no. I’m a true night owl. My mother recently told me that even when I was an infant, I didn’t want to sleep at night.
8. When do you get your best work done?
Whenever I stop procrastinating.
9. Introvert? or Extrovert?
I’m an extrovert, but I’m not obnoxious about it. And I do need time to myself–just not too much.
10. Yes? or No? (just have fun with this, write the first thing that pops in to your head)
Yes? Not sure I understand the question.
11. Have you ever won anything before?
I’ve won two of author Joanne Fluke’s reader contests. I named one of her recipes (Berried Treasure Bars) and came up with new mischief for her protagonist’s pet cat to get into.
Chrys has asked me to share five facts about myself.
1. I share my bed with my boyfriend, three cats, and a giant stuffed crab cushion we call Phineas. He’s a souvenir from our trip to Maui, in a roundabout way.
2. I haven’t seen dead people, but I’ve heard them–more than once.
3. I’ve had a sushi roll named after me. The Holli-Whoot. It has cranberries, shrimp, and goat cheese, among other things. It’s very tasty. 🙂
4. My first ever published article was about the racism experienced by university students. I got so emotionally involved with that story that it made me physically ill.
5. My greatest fear is that I will lose my sight.
Now, last but not least, I’m supposed to tag about a gazillion blogs. To be honest, I’ve had no luck with these things. People have the best of intentions, but something usually goes wrong. So I’ll just tag four amazing blogs that I love, in no particular order, in the hopes of introducing you to someone new. (Kellie and Chrys would be on this list if I hadn’t already tagged them.)
- Roland Yeomans: I only recently discovered Roland’s blog, but so far I love it. His posts are always insightful and unique.
- Annie’s Eats: Food porn. Need I say more?
- Yes and Yes: Sarah of Yes and Yes writes about travel, running a successful business, and pretty much everything else you can think of. Her true-story interviews are a personal favourite.
- Mommy’s Abroad: My friend Niki’s always fascinating tales of her expat adventures in China. If she doesn’t make you laugh, you’re a stone.
There are a ton of wonderful bloggers I’ve met through the A to Z Challenge and the Insecure Writers’ Support Group, but since we all seem to travel in common circles, I tried my best to choose bloggers you may not have heard of. But I think you’re all amazing!
Thanks so much to Kellie and Chrys for these awards, and for their patience.
What are some of your favourite blogs? What’s the best meal you’ve ever had? Please share an interesting fact about yourself!