Happy Friday, Dear Readers!
I hope the sun is shining where you are.
For today’s Fun Friday, I chose an easy exercise, so I hope more people will participate. What five things do you want to do in your life? You can go into detail, and explain why these things are important to you, or–if you’re short on time–feel free to write a simple list. I’m looking forward to hearing about your five things!
As for me, it’s already pretty obvious that I want to publish novels and fight in the ring, so I’m going to leave those off my list and share things you may not know.
1) I want to go white-water rafting, preferably in an exotic locale. When I visited Africa in 2001, that was on my “must-do” list, but the Zambezi River was too high.
2) I want to move to a warm, tropical climate where shoes are not required. I was not cut out for this cold weather! For me, happiness is a looking out over my porch to see waves breaking against the sand. I want to live somewhere that lets me spend part of everyday walking (or running) on warm sand.
3) I want to spend time abroad volunteering for a meaningful cause, like helping to save the sea turtles in Mexico, or helping to build homes in Africa. I want to see the challenges of people (or animals) somewhere far away, in a place unfamiliar to me, and be enriched by the experience.
4) I want to cuddle a koala bear, a baby panda, and if possible, a red panda. Obviously this will involve some traveling.
5) I want to continue to challenge myself physically: climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, walking the entire Great Wall of China (as much as possible), scuba-diving at the Great Barrier Reef, training with the great muay thai instructors in Thailand. I want to never live an ordinary (or sedentary) life.
What are your five things? Please share!
Have a great weekend. Thanks for being here.
Great post! There are so many that narrowing them down to five is going to be a challenge in itself. 🙂 Let’s see….
1. Go someplace with sun, sand, and gorgeous hiking trails to explore. A vacation would be fine for now, but if I can find an affordable way to live in a place like that, even better! I love hiking forest paths. Can’t wait to do Mantario.
2. I’m with you on the volunteering. I really want to help out with sea turtle conservation with the Sea Turtle Conservancy or a similar organization.
3. Get in great shape. Life’s too short to not look awesome. 🙂
4. Take a monumental, life-changing journey. The original plan was to walk across Canada, but I’d be happy with roaming the Australian Outback, or heading off into a secluded mountain range for a while, hiking to hidden temples in Peru, or balancing my way along the disintegrating El Camino del Rey in Spain.
5. Appreciate everything that I have, and take nothing for granted. I realize that this isn’t a typical go-somewhere-do-something goal, but it’s something I want to do every minute of every day. As Dan Millman said, there are no ordinary moments. Whether I’m adventuring in a foreign land, or weeding a stone path at home, I want to find the joy in everything I do. I think that’s the hardest goal to achieve, but also the most important in the long run.
I’m really glad you participated, Chris. I wanted to know what your five things were. And obviously, we’re made for each other. 🙂
I can help you with goal #5. There’s a ton of weeding to be done in the backyard. Knock yourself out. :)Find that joy!
These are “some” of the many things I would love to do…
1.Complete an Ironman maybe for my 60th birthday…
2.Become a published author
3.Participate in Voluntourism – My husband and I have talked about doing this when we are retired and can dedicate two weeks to a month away. We have a great book that outlines different organizations in different countries and the requirements for each. Some involve building schools in Jamaica, others detail helping endangered wildlife in various locales around the world. Most of them require you pay for your airfare but they supply room/board. I think it would be a great way to combine a vacation with giving back to others.
4.Take my kids on a vacation to remember. It would be cool to be able to combine this with #4. Right now the airfare is just too much. But it would be nice to be able to afford that.
5.Go mountain-biking in Costa Rice – maybe even participate in the “LA RUTA DE LOS CONQUISTADORES” the toughest MTB race in the world. (http://larutadelosconquistadores.com/info/#axzz1LaVaR1uJ)
Thanks for participating! Those are some fantastic goals. We seem to have a number in common, although you can keep the kids and the mountain biking. 🙂
Let me know as you cross things off your list!
I was just reading back on your old blogs, many times I read your blog but I am short on time so I tell myself, remember to ho back and comment later. In reading this I realized I never went back to comment on this one.
Here are my 5 things I would love to do;
1) train muay Thai in Thailand, ideally I would love to go train for a couple months but I would be more than happy just to go for a couple weeks or a month!
2) fight muay thai professionally.. If I could get paid to train and fight professionally!!! That is my dream job!!
3) go on a tropical vacation with Char. I’m not picky on where, just as long as it is hot, sunny, there is a beach and an ocean!
4) take my kids on a vacation, I don’t have a place narrowed down, just somewhere fun and that would give them memories for a life time
5) start my own business, I have a couple ideas but just need to be in the right time of my life to fo it.
Thanks so much, Wayne! I always love reading your responses, and I love your list. All of those things are definitely within your grasp. You just need to set some goals for savings, etc., and then GO FOR IT! You can totally do it.
As for a vacation with the kids, I totally recommend Disneyland/world. I think everyone should go at least once.